by Keith Yoerg, Secretary, Reaction Research Society
The society held its monthly meeting for March on Friday, the 11th, at 7:30pm by teleconference.
The following items were on the agenda.
- Chris Lancaster’s presentation on rocket bikes and drag racing history
- Review of recent MTA events, USC RPL static fire
- Upcoming events at the MTA
- Delivery of new 40-foot storage container by Dimitri Timohovich
- Site maintenance and upgrades
- Wolframe Blume’s next flight of the Gas Guzzler
- Bill Inman’s testing for steam rocketry
- Low power launches
- Upcoming university event requests and inquiries
- USC RPL static fire and flight
- University of Michigan, MASA in May 2022
- UC Irvine and Cal Poly Pomona
- Student classes and launches
- LAPD CSP – STRIVE event, 4/2/2022
- YMCA classes, launch on 5/1/2022(?)
- RRS post office box, renewal and other options
We spent the majority of our time on the subject of early rocketry in drag racing and rocket bikes. Chris Lancaster of Pennsylvania spent an extraordinary amount of time researching this subject and the specific rocket bike built by Henk Vink now on exhibit in Germany. A stand-alone article on this topic may be forthcoming.
The MTA firing report from 3/12/2022 covers the events from that day following the meeting. The anticipated events were discussed at the meeting.
The RRS will continue to keep our post office box in Los Angeles (Inglewood) 90009 for another year. The annual cost has been rising but it remains well used for correspondence.
Reaction Research Society; P.O. Box 90933; Los Angeles, CA, 90009
Our director of research, Richard Garcia, agreed to investigate LNG safety guidelines with regard to flaring of this volatile fuel in amateur rocketry applications. He will submit his findings to the council for internal peer review. The RRS will be creating a policy on this issue as some amateur liquid rocket projects intend to use natural gas (largely methane).
Further updates to this meeting report are forthcoming.
Next meeting will be April 8th. For those interested in attending, contact the RRS secretary.