Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Osprey OS-1

Windshephe-
rd
Osprey OS-1
on: July 26, 2016, 05:08

Hello all,

New member to the RRS, nice to meet you all. I'm working on an experimental propane/nitrous oxide liquid fueled rocket design that I hope to make my capstone project for my Mechanical Engineering degree, which I am currently earning. As you are all so incredibly experienced with building rockets, the dynamics involved, procedures in launching and flight, etc, etc. I was hoping to get advice, critiques, suggestions, anything on this design. This is my first venture into liquid fueled rockets, I've been launching small solid fueled rockets since I was young. To touch on the design briefly and the characteristics I hope to achieve;

The engine/cooling sleeve/etc. would be made of 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum (I chose this to try and make a compromise between weight, cost, and performance of the metal).

I have designed a cooling system that I hope will be able to keep the engine cool enough to where it does not suffer catastrophic burn through failure, consisting of a large, pressurized hollow sleeve where the engine will sit, and fuel will run through and cool it before exiting through a standpipe into a distribution manifold, then the injector plate.

There will be no feed pumps in this design, as I planned on pressurizing the fuel/oxy tanks and using the gas pressure to feed both the fuel and oxidizer to the injector plate (the gas would be pressurized helium for stability and the added anti flammability bonus). I wanted to cut down on complexity and weight this way, and I don't know of a pump that would work in this capacity that would fit in this design.

As for characteristics, I am estimating this design to be approximately 6 feet tall, 5 inches in diameter (body), and I am aiming to achieve the maximum FAA allowable altitude at the MTA (50,000 ft AGL). I am designing a rudimentary computer system, centered around an Arduino Yun, which is mostly designed to open and close the solenoid controlling fuel/oxy flow, and to detonate the pyrotechnic charges that will deploy the parachute (If possible, I would like to be able to send/receive telemetry and still images or video, if the bandwidth is achievable).

This is just a brief overview of the more major design elements of this rocket, I can provide my solidworks drawings, or go into greater detail on some of the more technical aspects if anyone was interested. Any advice, suggestions, feedback, critique, anything that anyone can offer on this design would be greatly welcomed. Thanks for reading!

Sincerely,

Windshepherd

dnordling
Re: Osprey OS-1
on: August 4, 2016, 05:29

sounds very cool, WindShepherd. Come by the August meeting next Friday in Gardena and show us what you've got in mind.

dnordling
on: September 9, 2016, 01:28

RRS meeting is tomorrow, 9/9/16, 8pm, in Gardena. Stop by if you can. Let us know how your Osprey project is going.

Windshephe-
rd
on: September 15, 2016, 07:21

Hello Dnorling,

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I live in Southwest Washington state, so attending meetings regularly will not be possible. However, I do have plans to be able to attend at least some meetings in the future.

rocketahol-
ic
on: September 20, 2016, 18:26

sounds like a very neat project.

laoubi_ade-
l
on: September 29, 2019, 12:34

good project

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.099 seconds.